Microsoft has been working on a new cross-platform, cross-browser technology named WPF/E for some time now. It can be (in a nutshell) regarded as a common language runtime with highly portable but also streamlined framework classes for UI/web development.
WPF/E now will be officially announced under its new name Silverlight at the Mix 07 conference in Las Vegas, but if you want to have an ealier look, here you are:
- http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight (main)
- http://www.silverlight.net (community)
- http://www.microsoft.com/wpfe (General)
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/wpfe (Developer)
- http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/default.mspx (link to find press release and QA)
I will be in Vegas for MIX and I am looking forward to hear all about this cool new technology. I expect it to change the look and feel of modern web applications quite a bit.