Sometimes things do not work out as they should (no, do not tell me that is always the case). Recently I tried to switch WinPE from Emglish to Swiss-French keyboard layout. For a customer not for me. I am not able to use rather Swiss nor Fench keyboards.
But neververtheless, this should be easy. There is a switch existing to do this during theWinPE session but although reporting success we did not get it working.
This may be my fault, but until someone shows me it is, I believe this is a bug. 🙂
Nevertheless together with my customer we found a workaround.
It works like this:
- Mount Your WinPE 2.0 boot.wim file to a folder (read/write)
- Do an offline edit of the PE registry by loading the Default hive into the registry editor
- Change the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload\1 to e.g. 0000100c for Swiss -French
- Unload the hive from the registry editor – This is important otherwise PE does not start, because the hive cannot be loaded. It still will be marked to be open by regedit.
- Unmount the boot.wim file using the /commit command line option.
- Then burn Your WinPE 2.0 image to a CD put it on a USB stick or on the hard disk
It should be no problem now, to work under Your keyboard layout.